Why is tenant involvement so important?
Here at BCT, we’re passionate about providing excellent housing and developing thriving communities that our customers are proud to live in and where other residents aspire to live. To achieve this, we know we need to work with and listen to you, our customers. By doing this, we’ll understand what customers want and what they’d like their homes and communities to look like.
Ways to get involved
Engaging and involving our community is at the heart of our business and is in everything we do. We have a member of staff here on the Estate dedicated to community engagement – she is called Bijoli Deypurkaystha.
It’s Bijoli’s job to work with you to develop and support community activities in Byker as well as improving estate management and housing services.
Getting involved in the Byker community
Byker is known for its community spirit and there is usually always something going on that you can get involved in. We work closely with residents and partners on the estate to make sure that there are plenty of opportunities for:
- Things for the kids to do
- Getting online and using computers
- Employability and training
- Self-employment and business advice
- Welfare Support (debt and benefit advice)
- Social activities and groups
Helping us to improve housing services
We provide a wide range of opportunities for you to influence and be involved in scrutiny, decision making and service improvement. Our Involvement Framework shows you all the ways you can get involved.
If you’re interested in getting involved or want any further information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Can you help?
As a customer, you can offer a ‘critical friend’ or a common sense perspective to staff and the BCT Committee. This makes sure we’re more accountable to you. In turn, you get better services and better value for your rent.
No qualifications necessary but helpful qualities include:
- Curiosity – you take an interest in what is going on around you.
- Critical thinking – you question the way things are run, how places look and the services you receive.
- Not shy to speak up – you won’t shy away from giving feedback to ensure you get the best deal for your money.
- Proactive – you get a buzz out of shopping around to get value for your money in the supermarket or online.
- Honesty & Trustworthiness – family and neighbours come to you because they know they can depend on you to get the job done!
- Full training will be given
- A great way to enhance your CV – particularly if you haven’t worked before or for a long time
- No cost to you – any costs including childcare, transport and refreshments will be covered by BCT
- Socialise – joining a group of like-minded people is a great way to meet new friends and give your confidence a boost.
The ways to get involved are completely flexible and we’ll work with you to find a way to make it fit in with your lifestyle and existing commitments. If you’re interested, please call us for an initial chat and we can look at the best options for you.