Why is tenant involvement so important?
At BCT we are passionate about providing excellent housing and developing thriving communities that our tenants are proud to live in and where other residents aspire to live. To achieve this, we know we need to work with and listen to you, our tenants. If we do this, we will understand what tenants want and what they would like their homes and communities to look like.
Ways to get involved with Byker Community Trust
Engaging and involving our community is at the heart of our business and is in everything we do. As a member of the Byker Community you have your very own Officer, Emma Leggott, dedicated to Community Engagement.
It’s Emma’s job to work with you to develop and support community activities in Byker as well as improving estate management and housing services.
Getting involved in the Byker community
Byker is known for its community spirit and there is usually something going on that you can get involved in. We work very closely with Byker Residents and Partners on the estate to make sure that there are plenty of opportunities for:
- Things for the kids to do
- Getting online and using computers
- Employability and training
- Self-employment and business advice
- Welfare Support (debt and benefit advice)
- Social activities and groups
If you have an idea for an event or would like to let us know about something that is going on please contact us on 0800 533 5442, email email@example.com or submit an event
Helping Byker Community Trust to improve housing services
We provide a wide range of opportunities for you to influence and be involved in scrutiny, decision making and service improvement. Our Involvement Framework shows all the ways you can get involved.
If you are interested in getting involved or want any further information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Who are we looking for?
As a tenant you can offer a ‘critical friend’ or a common sense perspective to BCT staff and board members. This makes sure we are more accountable to you in turn you get better services and better value for your rent.
No qualifications necessary but helpful qualities include:
- Curiosity – you take an interest in what is going on around you.
- Critical thinking – you question the way things are run, how places look and the services you receive.
- Not shy to speak up – you won’t shy away from giving feedback to ensure you get the best deal for your money.
- Proactive – you get a buzz out of shopping around to get value for your money in the supermarket or online.
- Honesty & Trustworthiness – family and neighbours come to you because they know they can depend on you to get the job done!
- Full training will be given
- A great way to enhance your CV – particularly if you haven’t worked before or for a long time
- No cost to you – any costs including childcare, transport and refreshments will be covered by BCT
- Socialise – joining a group of like-minded people is a great way to meet new friends and give your confidence a boost.
The ways to get involved are completely flexible and we will work with you to find a way to make it fit in with your lifestyle and existing commitments. If you are interested call for an initial chat and we can look at the best options for you.