Byker Community Trust (BCT) are recruiting for two non-executive Board Members can be either independent candidates or tenants. We also have three separate tenant board member vacancies.
We welcome applications from tenants of BCT and independent candidates. We are looking for people who can demonstrate the skills, knowledge and experience that will help improve the strategic oversight of BCT and the personal competencies that will promote effective and harmonious Board working.
We are particularly interested candidates with the following areas of expertise:
- Housing Regeneration;
- Development, Construction and Surveying;
- Corporate Finance and Accounting (including Audit and Assurance); and
- Customer Service Excellence and Customer Engagement.
BCT was formed in 2012 when the residents of Byker voted to transfer the Grade II* Byker Estate from Newcastle City Council to a new independent Housing Association.
The reason for the transfer was to:
- Help secure loan funding to carry out much-needed investment in the Estate;
- Involve local residents more in how services are directed in the Estate; and
- Ensure services are improved for tenants.
Our Vision for 2020 is an independent Byker Community Trust where we have delivered on the major stock transfer promises; we ensure tenants have a key voice and role in decision making and we maximise access for local people into employment, training, health and educational opportunities.
The Board has six key responsibilities:
- Strategic direction owning, supporting and demonstrating the Vision, Mission and Values of BCT;
- Approval of key policies for the organisation expressed through the Corporate Plan;
- Setting the financial framework through the Business Plan and Annual Revenue Budget;
- Ensuring there is a current strategy for identifying and managing risk and overseeing systems to give assurance about how these are managed;
- Compliance with legal requirements and any regulatory obligations; and
- Oversight and accountability for the Executive’s performance
- The Board consists of twelve members. Five seats are held by independent members, three seats are held by tenants, two seats are nominated by Newcastle City Council. A further two seats may be filled by tenants or independent members.
- The Board is supported by three committees:
- Audit and Risk Committee
- Governance and Remuneration Committee
- Customer Scrutiny Committee
The Board meetings, including preparation reading and other events, are expected to require the equivalent of 10 working days a year to fulfil the functions and duties of a BCT Board Member.
Board Members will be supported by a comprehensive induction programme, access to learning and development materials and events and regular policy and practice information updates to assist in fulfilling the duties of Board membership.
No remuneration, as this is a voluntary position however during 2018 the Board will be reviewing this arrangement. Expenses will be reimbursed in accordance with the BCT expenses procedure.
Time and place of meetings
The Board meets on Wednesdays, 6pm at BCT’s offices on Raby Cross, Byker.
To apply, please state which vacancy you wish to apply for along with your CV (no more than three pages) and a supporting statements (no more than 250 words) to Jaime.email@example.com
The closing date for applications is the 17th of August 2018.
Shortlisted applicants will be asked to attend a short interview with members of Governance and Remuneration Committee.