Universal Credit is now active in all areas of Newcastle upon Tyne and this means that in the majority of cases, it is no longer possible to make new claims for Income Support, Income Based Jobseekers Allowance, Income Related Employment and Support Allowance, Child Tax Credit, Working Tax Credit and Housing Benefit.

Universal Credit is paid monthly, and the amount that you are paid includes money to pay your rent. This is a big change, as in the past, Housing Benefit was paid directly on to your rent account. With Universal Credit, it is the responsibility of the claimant to pay their own rent.

Claims for Universal Credit are made and managed online. It is important that you seek help if you think you will have difficulties online.

So, for example, if you currently claim Income Related Employment and Support Allowance, and you are found to be capable of work, you would be asked to claim Universal Credit. Other changes that may lead to you needing to make a claim for Universal Credit include:

  • Moving to a new home which is in a different council area
  • You live as a couple and you separate
  • You are a lone parent and your partner moves in to your home
  • You claim Income Support as a carer and stop being a carer.
  • You are a lone parent working and claiming Working tax Credit and your hours drop below 16 hours per week.

The guides below provide more information on Universal Credit.

It is important that you seek advice as soon as possible if you have any queries or questions about Universal Credit, or if you think that you will need help to manage your claim.